Find your way...

October 23, 2014

ATLANTA INTERIOR DESIGNER... City Walk Staging Project...


I had quite the experience with a new client.  I got hooked up with their real estate team (thanks to my extremely supportive husband) and met them at their condo. When I arrived, I learned that the family was living in Europe and needed their home staged and completed for their arrival...in just over 3 weeks. Okay, nobody panic (I'm not panicking!) We had a lot to do in the short period of time. 

They needed an Interior Design/Project Manager to complete:
  • Full color consultation. Every wall was going to be repainted.
  • Remodel. The top loft was being enclosed to create a room, and we were putting in a window & door so it wasn't a dungeon.
  • Ripping out built in custom cabinetry to transform an office into a custom build walk in closet for quests. All other closets already had these systems from the previous owner. 
  • Full surround sound system indoor & out. We included TVs and cable ready to rock as they walked in the door.
  • Basic furniture so they could move in immediately for two foyers, an office, nursery, guest room, loft, master bedroom, nursery and kitchen. We would add those special touches like art work and accessories later.
  • Linens, towels, hand soap, dish washing detergent, high chairs, stocked nursery, etc.
  • And I wasn't going to have much, if any, contact with the mysterious family.
Thank goodness I'm a Virgo.

I think some people forget how much preliminary work goes into this type of work. We don't just snap our fingers and things appear. I wish that was the case.  It can take at least 6 months for this type of project to be completed. We just didn't have that kind of time.  Measuring, paint samples, scheduling contractors, audio companies, closet companies, painters, Dish Network, cleaners, someone to install a washer/dryer, shopping trips, picking up samples, lunch. Okay I just threw that in there. 

All the furniture deliveries were CRAZY. Hundreds and hundreds of boxes and multiple companies and delivery men coming in and out by one elevator shaft. We pretty much lived in this house from sun up to...really late...for 3 weeks straight. The last couple of nights I looked at Tyler & the Realtor & said "Are we roommates?" 

I only had one minor meltdown. The AC went out during install while trying to hang art and mirrors in the loft. We were sweating so bad my eyes started to cross. 

Down to the very last second (literally steaming bedding & carrying in the last floor vase as they are coming up the elevator) it was the craziest yet most rewarding experience.  I barely got any photos of this place...I know, after all of that! 

The family walked in, kissed my cheeks, and I followed them around as they saw their new home. It turns out that they had not lived together in a year. The mom and baby was living in Arkansas waiting on daddy in Europe.  The baby was just over a year old,  so he had missed the entire first year of his life and they were so ready to have a home. They cried and squealed and were so happy with everything. It was amazing. I was trying to take in this moment and put down the camera.  Now I am known as "Auntie Heather" so it was worth the sacrifice.

I did get a few before & after's . Enjoy!

BEFORE



AFTER 




BEFORE


AFTER 



BEFORE



AFTER 







BEFORE




AFTER 





Thanks for letting me share this experience!

Happy Designing,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment