Find your way...

December 28, 2011

ATLANTA INTERIOR DESIGNER: Dreaded built-ins...

...and I mean that in the nicest way possible! I can't tell you how many clients have asked or sometimes begged me to arrange their built-in book shelves, which nearly every other home here in Georgia has. Actually, as we speak I have a car load of accessories waiting to be arranged at one of my client's homes. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with them.

My main objective is to fill them with a combination of truly interesting pieces as well as the meaningful things my clients already own. Getting these to all jive together in harmony is sometimes easier said than done...and most of the time I become super OCD for about two or three hours until I finally go..."okay, that's it".

Usually I begin by taking down all the fake greenery...I know...most people do not want to hear that because they spent good money having these done, but they have got...to...go. I also spend a good amount of time taking down 100 books and leaving 4 or 5 for fillers. And thirdly, as a general rule, having less is more. Take down the 6 or 7 small items and replace with 3 larger, more interesting things.

 I happen to come across some inspiration on Pinterest that I really liked. I will compile a group of the one's that I've worked on personally at a later date.


 Minus the mini tea cups and...shoe, I think this is adorable for a cottage of beach home.



BallardDesigns.com

Two things I've done recently that I liked were

1. Adding lamps to the built ins, one on each side to create some sort of symmetry.

2. Turning the books backwards, so you see the pages only, which has in some cases turned out much less distracting.

I would love to hear your thoughts or ideas on Built Ins.

Happy Designing!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment