Find your way...

November 22, 2011

Feng Shui 101...

Get your Qi on!

An interesting topic came up today at work today with the other designers...Feng Shui. I've had a couple of clients over the years ask me to incorporate this concept into their own homes but I've never truly studied it. I figured I could take this opportunity to start a Feng Shui section of the blog and help you and myself learn a little more about this ancient system. 
For the purpose of Feng Shui in Interior Design I'll try to focus on Modern Feng Shui as it relates to us.


Feng Shui (fung- shway) is a Chinese system of geomency believed to use the laws of both Heaven  and Earth to help one improve life by receiving positive qi. The term feng shui literally translates as "wind-water" in English. Historically, feng shui was widely used to orient buildings—often spiritually significant structures such as tombs, but also dwellings and other structures. Depending on the particular style of feng shui being used, an auspicious site could be determined by reference to local features such as bodies of water, stars, or a compass. Feng shui was suppressed in China during the cultural revolution in the 1960s, but since then has increased in popularity.

Qi (chee) is a movable positive or negative life force which plays an essential role in feng shui. In Chinese martial arts or other activities such as yoga, Qi refers to energy.

In pre-modern China, Yin feng shui (for tombs) had as much importance as Yang feng shui (for homes). For both types one had to determine direction by observing the skies and to determine the Yin and Yang of the land.




Many believe it is important and very helpful in living a prosperous and healthy life by either avoiding or blocking negative energies that might otherwise have bad effects. Many of the higher-level forms of feng shui are not so easily practiced without either connections, or a certain amount of wealth because the hiring of an expert, the great altering of architecture or design, and the moving from place to place that is sometimes necessary requires a lot of money. Because of this, some people believe it is only a game for the wealthy. Others, however, practice less expensive forms of feng shui, including hanging special inexpensive mirrors, forks, or woks in doorways to deflect negative energy and create a positive atmosphere in their homes.

For now, I think I'll just end with the basics. However, I promise I'll definitely be going more in depth with this topic (such as what in the world the diagram I started with means!) and how to incorporate into our own homes & designs!
I would like to thank Wikipedia for being much more knowledgeable than I on this subject :)

Happy Designing!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment