Find your way...

November 25, 2011

Picasso to Warhol...

I recently attended the High Museum in Atlanta's exhibit, 'Picasso to Warhol' and let me tell you, it was SO awesome.
Henri Matisse
Periwinkles/Moroccan Garden
1912

This was made during Matisse's first trip to Morocco and shows the garden of the private estate called Villa Brooke. There's something about these colors that just made me smile :)


Dance I
1909

Matisse originally started this painting with six people and ended with only five which makes some say you can see a ghost-like figure. It shows rhythm and fluidity beautifully. The break in the hands show signs of struggle within the movement.

Jasper Johns

Between the Clock and the Bed
1981


Johns took the title from a 1943 self-portrait by the Norwegian artist Edvard Munch. This piece looks so incredibly modern for its time. I could see it hanging in our showroom today... I adore this.

Map
1961

Map refers to the concept that everyday objects or symbols can become art. He repurposed the familiar map of the United States as a work of art and helps you to see it in a different light.

Picasso

Girl before a Mirror
1928

This beauty portrays Marie-Therese Walter, Picasso's Mistress at the time. Notice how he shows her profile & entire face on the left side. It's funny how it actually makes you feel when you see something like this in person. Picasso is a master...UH-mazing!

The Kitchen
1948

Think about it....

Painter and Model
1928

Definitely on my list of top three at the exhibit. The more I look at it, the more sense I can make of the shapes I see. What a brilliantly abstract vision of a painter with paintbrush & easel (right hand side) vs. the model and her profile towards the left.

Jackson Pollock

Gothic
1944
This transitional painting was done two years before Pollock's first drip paintings, which he is most famous for. If you follow the thick black lines, references to the figure become visible. Brilliant.

Number 1A
1948

Pollock's wife explained that by giving a painting a number name, they will see the painting for what it is-pure painting.  Some people thought he was not emotionally connected to his paintings because the number titles he would give them. By looking at his hand prints in the upper right hand portion, you know this simply was not true... He would lay the canvas' on the floor so that he could paint above & at every angle of the painting. I think museums should display these lying down, so we can see it as he saw them.

Andy Warhol

Before and After
1961

Warhol began his career as a commercial artist. This painting is based on an advertisement for plastic surgery that regularly ran in The National Enquirer.


Campbell's Soup Cans
1962

All thirty-two varieties available at the time. Hand painted.

Self-Portrait
1966

"If you want to know all about Andy Warhol, just look at the surface, of my paintings and my films and me, and there I am. There's nothing behind it."
Andy Warhol


Wow, I could go on for days. I loved every minute of it...

Which one is your favorite?

Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment